Break-In Period for Shoes with Heat Molded or Custom Inserts
In order to ensure that your shoes become a functioning extension of your pedorthic medical care, please follow these instructions.
- When you arrive home, place your new shoes (with inserts in them) on your feet (with socks) and wear them for 30 to 60 minutes- only on carpeting at first.
- Remove your shoes and socks to look for any areas of redness on your foot (ask a family member for assistance, if necessary).
- Once you have verified that the shoes do not rub your skin (absence of redness), wear your shoes around your home for a day or two; check again for redness.
- Once you (or your family member) have verified that you are not having problems with these new shoes, you are ready to wear them outside the home.
- Remember, even after this break-in period, you should always check your shoes and feet each day- looking for anything out of the ordinary.
The therapeutic shoe bill provides for a pair of shoes and three pairs of inserts in one calendar year. The maximum lifespan of these inserts is about 4 months. Please remove each insert as instructed every 4 months (mark your calendar now) and replace it with the other inserts provided. If used properly 3 pairs of inserts should last one year.